Smoked ham biscuits – A smack of intense flavors!
Ham is a delicate leg cut retrieved from the upper part of pork meat. The smoked ham biscuits are crunchy and prove to be an ideal brunch time treat for your friends and family.
Enjoy the richness of crusty biscuits and spicy saltiness of ham in one bite by making this ingenious recipe. It is actually made by sandwiching slices of ham in between the biscuits which makes it all the more tempting.
- Recipe: Smoked ham biscuits
- Meal course: Snack for brunch or breakfast
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 5 hours
- Cooking appliance: Electric smoker
- Special ingredient: Applewood chips
Ingredients for ham:
- Smoked paprika – 2 ½ tablespoons
- Black pepper powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cayenne powder – ½ tablespoon
- Fresh Ham
- Brown sugar – 5 to 6 tablespoons
Ingredients for biscuits:
- Baking flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 3 teaspoons
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Baking soda – a little less than ½ teaspoon
- Butter – 8-9 cubes (unsalted)
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Honey – 2 ½ tablespoons
- Preheat the smoker up to 230F.
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix the ingredients (mentioned in the ingredients for ham) thoroughly to make a consistent paste. Add some water if required. Apply this mixture on the ham and let it smoke for 4 hours at the most.
- After cooking the ham, increase the temperature of the smoker up till 400F. Mix the dough ingredients in a mixing bowl and crush the butter cubes into the mixture. Take a medium size bowl and blend honey and buttermilk in it. Pour this mixture in a large bowl and allow it to rest for a while.
- Roll the dough mixture on a sheet and cut the biscuits as per the desired thickness and length. Bake them for 15 minutes until they get golden brown in color.
Cut the ham into thin slices and top them with sauces and you like the most.
Master Chef’s tips
The thickness of the biscuits plays an important role in this recipe. Do not go for too thick or too thin biscuits. Keep them nice and crispy to enjoy the true pleasure of smoked ham.
This recipe is surely going to be one of your favorites among the smoked recipes. I would recommend honey mustard sauce topping over these biscuits. This sauce can be easily availed from the market or can even be freshly prepared in your kitchen.